Defending the Faith
A Crash-Course in Apologetics
Instructor: Greg Johnson,
St. Louis Center for
Equipping Ordinary Christians to Make an Extraordinary Impact
This course, taught in St. Louis, Missouri in October and November 2000, was designed to equip students to answer the questions of seekers as well as the objections of skeptics. As you study, youíll grasp how to help others understand the truthfulness of Christís claims, from ĎAbsolute Proof for the Existence of Godí to defending the Bibleís reliability, to showing how truth is absolute and not relative. Learn to explain why Jesus is the only Savior and discover helpful tips for speaking with Moslems, Jews, followers of the New Age and cults. Learn how to always return to the question: What will you do with Jesus?
Most apologetics courses only deal with "traditional" apologetics topics, though. This course, however, deals with some more current objections to the Christian faith--including the suggestion that Christianity is 'homophobic' and that opposition to abortion is sexist. What do you say when someone exclaims, "Surely you don't take the Bible literally, do you???" How does God answer the charge that he's selfish? How do you respond when scholars describe Christianity as a white European religion, a product of Western culture?
Almost 40 students from very diverse Christian backgrounds attended the course--from inner-city street evangelists to university students to internationals studying in the United States. You'll find about a hundred pages of notes defending the truthfulness of Christ's amazing claim to be Savior of the world and Lord over all. Due to the tremendous feedback received, tentative plans are to teach this class again in St. Louis in 2002.
Download the entire course in Adobe PDF Format
1. For Such a Time as This: Hitting both the heart & the head
2. How can you think your religion is the only true one?
3. Absolute Proof for the Existence of God
4. How do you know the Bible is Godís Word?
5. 200 years of critical scholarship have proven the Bible isnít accurate history.
6. But the Bible was created by the Church in 396AD!
7. Surely you donít take the Bible literally?
8. How do you know Jesus is the Son of God?
9. What about the Innocent Native whose never heard about Jesus?
10. How could a good, all-powerful God create a world full of suffering and evil?
11. The Trial: Is God Selfish?
12. Darwinian Evolution explains human existence; we donít need a Creation.
13. But Christians are hypocrites! Look at the Crusades and the Inquisition!
14. Christianity is a White European religion, a product of Western culture.
15. Christian opposition to abortion is sexist.
16. Christians are homophobic!
17. Tips on witnessing to Mormons
18. Tips on witnessing to Jehovahís Witnesses
19. Tips on witnessing to Jewish People
20. Tips on witnessing to New Agers
21. Tips on witnessing to Moslems
22. For Further Study